Sonntag, 17. November 2013

A long road to Longstreet


Lately I had the oppertunity to play a game of Longstreet. It's no secreet that up to the first announcement of Sam Mustafa with some promising details on that game I neither had any interest in the period nor a special fondnes for the figures. I had bought some ACW cavalry when they first appeared at the Salute (for it was the first set of historical figures made from hard plastic), but sadly I have long since tradet this pack for I don't know what. Thus my lead mountain - as large as it looms - was up to date clear of any figure representing a soldier after the date of 1815.

Now this has to change, because Longstreet is - as I had feared when I had read the announcement of Sam - just and planly great. It is great fun to read and even more fun to play, and the same way I've catched the Napoleonic plague with Lasalle, it seems it has happened again.

So I gave in, and have since heavily invested into this period. Now the first regiment is ready for the fight, and I couldn't wait to show it off.

Perry ACW Union Regiment
Since I don't know to much about the period, I have chosen a nondescript regiment of volunteers ("Smallville's finest"). I'll add a few historical regiments at a later date, when I have read more about it - Don Troiani has already been ordered...



For the whole project, I've chosen to use exclusively Perry Miniatures. Many of them I'll paint myself, but given the size of the project I've already contacted some trusted painters as well. 

I'll keep you informed about the progress. Until next time - and thank's for dropping by!

 

16 Kommentare:

  1. Impressive looking unit ! Greate paint work !

    best regards Michael

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Many thanks, Michael, that's very kind of you to say.

      Löschen
  2. Fantastic! Paintjob and pictures are excellent!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Good work on these. I'll be curious to see the project develop. It's caught on at the local club, but I've been avoiding it like the plague - too many other projects, and I know it'll hook me.

    FMB

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. You are absolutely right, it is the plague - but once you're infected, its quite wonderful ;-) Actually its one of the best games I've played in the last few years (together with Dux Britanniarum and Lasalle it is among my top 3). But I know what you mean - there have been quite a few projects I have delayed in order to get an army for Longstreet fielded in an appropriate timeframe...

      Löschen
  4. Great work on this unit. I love the period, the figure count in most rulesets is ridiculous though and keeps me from getting stuck in it.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Many thanks for your kind words! Yes, it is somewhat frightening. But since I don't use 6 figures per base as I do in Lasalle, I "only" need around 200 figures to start the campaign. The others can be painted while gaming, I think the amount of figures will probably double during the campaign. I would not have started if the rules were not such fun to play...

      Löschen
  5. They look very nice Toby! It's my favourite period and so I'm happy to see you getting stuck in.:-) I'm currently playing Fire and Fury, but when my figure count is high enough to run a campaign I'll give Longstreet a go for sure simply based on the fact of I like Maurice so much.

    Christopher

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Yeah, Christopher, now see what you've done... with all the good links and information about ACW, I'm finally stuck in. And that after I've tradet a box of confederates against some Russians with you not so long ago :-) Well, given what's already here and counting on some lucky purchases, the Union should be ready to fight at the AttritiCon in May. What about a clash of arms there? I would very much enjoy it...

      Löschen
    2. I thank you kindly for the invite and perhaps I'll take you up on it, but I won't know until next year if that's workable for me. However, I have quite a bit already painted up so it's not the figure count, but a matter of time. I sure want to as I'd love to see your figures!:-)

      Christopher

      Löschen
  6. Many thanks for your support, Andrew!

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Antworten
    1. Many thanks Sean for your kind words and please forgive me that I didn't reply before - these days have been incredibly busy. I appreciate your support!

      Löschen
  8. Excellent paintjob and a very nice picture !

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Many thanks, Monty. I hope there'll be some more to show quite "soonish" :-)

      Löschen